How to Stop Choking Help
- Ask them if they are Choking - this is to gauge the severity.
- Shout for help, but don't leave them.
- Encourage them to cough.
- 5 firm back slaps between the shoulder blades with the palm of your hand.
- 5 abdominal thrusts performed from behind the patient, make a fist with one hand and place it under their ribs.
- Grasp the fist with your other hand.
- Pull sharply, upwards and inwards.
- Check that the obstruction has been cleared.
- Continue until obstruction is cleared or ambulance personnel have arrived and are with you.
- If casualty falls unconscious and is not breathing - lay them on their back and start CPR 30:2